Warning

Once a place for articles I wrote that failed to get published,
this blog is becoming something else.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Area 52

The strangest thing she ever saw was her face
in the polished fender distorted.
The strangest thing I'd ever seen
half beneath the car that would end her
a girl I knew lying dead in the street
or off a bridge that stranger's body self-tossed
first responders milling when I was 24
or his bullet wound not visible
the victim under a wrinkled sheet
on a gurney in a mortuary backroom
or later naked high in winter trees
arms aloft in triumph over the torn
the birth of a week-long spirit lingering
by my sick old man hale for once
or scrubbed and made up him prone
in a chapel his false teeth gleaming
awaiting a greeting from some Beyond.
The strangest thing I ever saw was myself in a mirror

                                                             - J. O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment